Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Beginning of Credible Journey

Transparency. Integrity. Honesty.

Others say, "Image is everything;" I disagree. The "success literature" of the past sixty years or so focuses on what Stephen Covey calls "the personality ethic." It's about shaping how you appear to be. "Integrity" is when one actually is what he or she appears to be. It's one thing to appear to be a competent contractor; it is another to be one -- one thing to appear to be interested in another's point of view, and another to actually care.

All this is to say that central to my blogging mission is to be as transparent as I would be in a personal journal.

click to enlarge ~~ click "back" to return

The other aspect of the title I've chosen for this blog is that central to my journey itself is a quest for authenticity -- that is, that I may be able to see things as they actually are, to live according to truth. Johannes Kepler, the founder of modern astronomy, did the math to prove that the earth revolved around the sun. Regarding this conclusion, which he knew would find opposition in his day, particularly from the church, he said that he would be patient for the world to catch on. "Has not God himself waited six thousand years for a man to look upon [His creation] with understanding?"
The fool on the hill sees the sun going down, and the eyes in his head see the world spinning round. ~ Paul McCartney
So we begin with hope and optimism. There is so much to discover, to discuss, and to wonder at. Keplar also said:
The diversity of the phenomena of nature is so great, and the treasures hidden in the heavens so rich, precisely in order that the human mind shall never be lacking in fresh nourishment.
I claim no approximation with Kepler, nor with Newton (or McCartney OR his fool, for that matter!) but I do desire to embody what I've said here, and what I've quoted.

I know not how I seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with while the vast ocean of undiscovered truth lay before me

~ Isaac Newton ~

~ Dan Haas ~

No comments:

Post a Comment